“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.”
-Mortimer Jerome Adler
Knowing how important it is to keep a sharp mind and the ability to access endless information, we tend to let things like video games, movies, t.v. shows, and web surfing meet our entertainment needs. These activities leave the past time of reading books on the back burners. As technology advances it seems our society is more likely to let books collect dust. I was one of the millions that thought reading outside of school was boring and never really found it appealing. Then I mustered up the will power to finish a book and felt great after reading it.(Its is almost like a high you get when complete a book without having anyone telling you to read.)
As we mature in life, we soon begin to see things from a different light and become more curious about the world we live in(books are a great way to educate ourselves on the things that make us curious).
I have always had an itch to better myself and have found that reading is one of the easiet ways to do so.
1. Knowledge = Power – It feels great when you start adopting lessons you learned from a book you read and being able to apply them to your life for a positive change.
2. Creativity Booster – Ideas flow like crazy when you indulge in a book that appeals to you. Read a book on something you want to learn about and watch sparks fly. Who knows you could find a new a career path just by reading something enticing.
3. Happiness – When you get in the groove of reading it is a great feeling. You can find your getting a sense of accomplishment when you finish that last page. You will also find yourself laughing out loud at comical situations and stories. In a nutshell reading makes you feel better and happy.
4. Improve Memory – Science has proven on many occasions that reading is one of the best activities that you can do to boost your memory. We make more neural pathways by reading as we’re forcing our brain to make imagery for the words we read.
5. Get Lost – Books are great way to escape any pain or problem that you are currently facing. You can find your self losing track of time just because you want to see what going to happen next, allowing you to forget about the troubles and negativity of the world.
6. Get Inspired – It is no coincidence that most of the more powerful people in this world are avid readers. It is seeing the world through a new lens and opening you up to new paradigms that can get us inspired.
7. Upgrade Your Vocabulary – Learn words that make you more interesting like: cantankerous, esoteric, or andragogy.
8. Upgrade Your Brain – By reading we use different parts of brain and are more likely to cultivate a state of flow which can make you feel better, talk smoother, and be smarter.
9. Travel – By reading you can travel anywhere in the world or the universe. Go places you’ve always wanted to or go back to somewhere you’ve been. You can time-travel and go back in time to any era, see what it was like be in that time period, see how people talked, dressed, and socialized.
10. Transition From Good to Great – Improve your overall well-being of life… be great!